Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Month 34 Archives

Dear Henry,

This month, the big thing was you going to gymnastics class. I'm thinking you may be too young (mentally) to really get the benefits from the class. Although there are two classes left, we'll see what happens. You talk and talk all week about how you love gymnastics, and you can't wait to go, but when we get there you just won't participate. I have to admit, as much as I hate to, this has frustrated me much more than I want it to, and much more than I expected. I'm out there on the trampoline and jumping through hoops (literally) and doing a freakin' hand stand, all to just get you to try something. I don't know what else to do. I want your dad to take you to class one of these next times. Maybe you'll be better for him. If not, I think we'll take a break and move on to something else. I really think you'll love swimming lessons this summer.

I suppose it all really boils down to the fact that you're still going through a really shy thing. I guess I need to get used to it instead of fighting it. You're dad told me he used to be really shy when he was young too. I know, I don't really believe it either. Its just hard, as a parent, to watch your kid sit by the sidelines and not try new things. This is the time in your life you are fearless, enjoy it! Ok, ok, I know I'm about as big of a chicken that there is, but I didn't used to be. And now that I'm typing this, I'm having flashbacks of swimming the short way across the pool because I was scared of the deep end. And I think I can hear my mom being frustrated with me because she worked nights, just so she could take me to swimming lessons but I wouldn't even get in the water. So yeah, hmmmm... Let's all just take a minute and rethink this whole thing.

In other news, you're hysterically funny. I was hanging pictures in the house the other day, and I was measuring and marking and everything, and you said, "Are you sure that's gonna work Mama?" When Daddy was driving you to school, you drove past a grassy area and you said, "That would be a good place for a lion to live." And we have this new fandangled thing called Bluetooth in my car, so whenever I'm on the phone, you have to talk to that person NON-STOP. Whether its Daddy, Grandma, Laurie, whoever. Grandma was even shocked. She said to me, why is he talking so much? I said, THIS IS REAL LIFE! When he's not being shy, he's talking constantly. You talked more to her on that one phone call than you have in a whole weekend!

So, let's make a pact, I'm gonna worry less about your shyness...and you, you just keep on talkin' little one. I only want you to share your funny stories and your unique outlook on the world with everyone.

Loves ya Booger, Mama

No comments: