Thursday, May 10, 2007

What If.....?


Six years ago on this day in May, it was Thursday too. But it was grey outside, and cool, and rainy. Mom and Dad got up, and checked on Charlie and something about him seemed off. So Mom and Dad decided not to go to work. Dad called Uncle Addison and told him that they're staying home today, not for any real reason, but just because they had a feeling. Within the next couple hours all of our friends left work too, and came over. To this day, we still don't know how they all decided to come over, but they all did. Charlie's nurse, Susan, came over too, and she confirmed every one's thoughts. It was time.

As the day went on, everyone tried to cram in everything they felt Charlie needed to do before he left us. Mom and Dad already taught him to fly a kite, eat Mom's world famous spaghetti, a sip of beer, he was in the snow and the rain too. On that day though, Molly quick read him The Little Prince. Frannie sat and played with him for as long as she could. Everyone passed him around, arm to arm, all day long. I don't think he was ever put down.

Around four o'clock the strangest thing happened. The clouds separated, the sun beamed like crazy, the birds chirped, and a little bee buzzed around the porch in Mom and Dad's backyard. The most spectacular part was when the crab apple tree went into full bloom with its bright pink blossoms. You've never seen anything so beautiful or anything that's smelled so sweet.

Charlie finally decided his work here with us was done around 5 o'clock. Mom told him it was OK for him to go, and that he didn't need to stay here with us anymore. He finally closed his eyes and his struggles were over.

What Charlie left behind, for only being here 2 months, is still unbelievable. We still here stories of lives he touched. People we don't even know. The lessons he taught us about living everyday, and counting your blessing, and taking life as it comes. Most importantly he taught us to have fun and stay positive. What are ya gonna do? Are you going to be mad? Are you gonna hate everybody? No way. Get out there, and have fun everyday, and be thankful for the things you do have and time you did get to spend.

Today is Thursday, May 10th, 2007. Today its bright and sunny and going to be 85 degrees. We're going to go visit my brother today, and then go drive by the old house at 5. Daddy checked it all out yesterday, and the crab apple tree is in full bloom.

Now go have some fun, for Char,
HAJ

4 comments:

gina said...

Thinking about you guys today...
Lots of love, gina

Bridget said...

Ditto on thinking about you. What a great blog...what a great day. Thank you for making our lives richer. Love you.
Bridget

Banks said...

Wow... that was a great post.
Here is something ironic: I have a work mate named Alex at the police academy that has become a fast friend and has at many times made me feel like I have had someone like Aaron going through this process with me. I have even told him his personality, sense of humor, and positive outlook remind me of my good buddy in Minnesota. Alex and his wife have been expecting a baby.
Just prior to reading your posting today I got a call from Alex giving me the news of his new baby boy: Grayson Diz, 7 llbs. 6 oz. he was born happy and healthy (3 weeks early) TODAY, May 10th at 6:30 p.m.

Thinking of you guys,

Pat

Anonymous said...

On my flight home yesterday, my thoughts were of Charlie and how he changed my life. He is the reason I cherish every minute I have with my grandchildren and don't take it for granted for a second. My love only goes deeper, my first grandchild. gammy